Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day +10; feeling OK

I have been on just the Synthroid now for 5 days (no "tide-me-over" Cytomel.) Although so far I feel pretty normal, my tongue feels numb at the tip (more like I burned my tongue) and I have a metallic taste in my mouth still. I was doing a bit of searching today and this might not be because of the radioactive iodine, but is a symptom of being hypothyroid (it is called "Burning Mouth (or Tongue) Syndrome). I hope it goes away as the Synthroid gets into my system, because a lot of stuff tastes funny. Strong flavors seem to be better (salsa tastes really good, but chocolate is just so-so; ham tastes good, but turkey is bland, etc.) Lemonade with extra lemon tastes great, plain water tastes like metal.

My doctor said that he usually low-ball estimates the Synthroid until the first set of blood tests (TSH and T4) are done and adjusts from there. (Too high can cause blood pressure and heart rate issues, among other side effects). I have a feeling with my size that 125 mg is probably a bit low...but we'll see. My body has a habit of metabolizing drugs oddly.

We spent the 4th of July at my in-laws and had a wonderful, relaxing time. I love going there...naps are not only accepted, they are encouraged!!! Fortunately, cheeseburgers and hot dogs are foods that still taste good!

My husband and several of his brothers, besides trying to kill the rest of us by not reading the directions for one of the fireworks, set off some great fireworks this year. If there is anything more dangerous than one Francis man not reading directions, it is 4 of them (Josh being one of them) not reading directions. Happily, the rest of the fireworks went up according to plan and we had quite a show. Anna, my niece Courtney, and I took shelter behind the pine trees until we felt like the men had it under control. Everyone survived.

5 comments:

  1. Thyroid cancer is diagnosed in 45,000 individuals each year in the US. Thyroid cancer treatment may affect future fertility n men and women. It is more common in women with female to male ratio of 3 to 1. It is the most rapidly rising cancer in women living in the US. Its diagnosed in young women in their reproductive years. Treatment of thyroid cancer generally yields excellent results, with the majority of women surviving 10 years or more after diagnosis. Some women develop thyroid cancer due to iodine deficiency in diet or prior neck radiation. Some types of thyroid cancers are related to inheriting an abnormal gene. http://www.health-tourism.com/thyroid-cancer-treatment/thailand/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pretty cool and much informative blog is this. I had visited your site, it was amazing and more helpful. i have also a site for Thyroid and Weight Gain. It will also help you if you need help for thyroid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is a great source of information which is really very useful for me. Thank you very much for this important information.

    FOR BEST INFORMATION ABOUT THYROID CANCER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much.
    BEST INFORMATION ABOUT THYROID CANCER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, very interesting. You should check out aremwellness.com. Dr. Arem is a Thyroid doctor out of Houston Texas. He specializes in many Thyroid problems. He is very knowledgeable in Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Graves' disease, Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism. He has recently wrote a book called The Thyroid Solution Diet and it is helpful. Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete