Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day +5: Out in public: no longer a menace

I am back among the general populace. The radioactive iodine was not too bad...I stayed in my basement craft room for 3 nights. I watched a lot of really (I mean really) bad movies, slept, drank copious amounts of water/diet soda/lemonade to flush my system from any leftover radiation, and of course, peed--a lot! My stomach was upset on Friday and Saturday...not sure if from the iodine or from the steady diet of fast food and take out that my family provided me with.


Friday till Monday I had a metallic taste in my mouth and food tasted funny, but it seems to have resolved today (Tuesday). I am still drinking lots of lemonade (with extra lemon juice to make it more sour. The sour candy and lemonade are thought to help the salivary glands keep from getting plugged up...from the iodine more so than the radioactive part).


I am feeling pretty good today. I went back to work and cooked a REAL, NON low iodine meal. Now the fun of tweaking the Synthroid dose begins (I was told to take 5 days of Cytomel along with the Synthroid to jump start things...it takes about 3 weeks to establish a decent blood level of Synthroid, so there still may be ups and downs).


So thus I begin the rest of my life as a "cancer survivor"...please keep praying that I am among the 80% of patients who do NOT have a recurrence after radioactive ablation therapy!!!

2 comments:

  1. You will be a cancer survivor ... go out and celebrate life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless! I hope that you are still in the 80% who do not have recurrence. I'm two weeks away from starting my low iodine diet and get to be "radioactive" on April 9, 2012. And so it begins...

    ReplyDelete