Saturday, May 23, 2009

My "Second Smile"




This is my scar with no steri-strips. I call it my "second smile." Even though my scar still is kinda swollen (It's like having an extra chin--ugh!!!) it really doesn't look that bad...even after only 8 days post op. Remember, this picture was taken with a flash, so it is more well-lit and noticeable in the photo than in real life. I read on the net that in 6 months it will really start to fade and be even less noticeable, but for now everyone gets 2 smiles from me!!!!


Next Wednesday I have another Ultrasound on my arm to make sure that the clots are getting better (or at least not getting worse), and will probably schedule my radioactive iodine treatment and scans. Right now, I am more concerned about the 2 weeks of being off my thyroid meds and being hypothyroid (fatigued, etc.). From what I read, side effects of the actual radioactive iodine aren't too bad. I am seriously considering what my co-worker did and go on "retreat" to a hotel for 3 days...I'll let you know what I decide to do when I have more information.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, you really look great! Who would think that only 8 days ago you had surgery! Plus, your smile (original) is still fabulous! OTTO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your scar looks great as well! The swelling will go down. You'll have some stabbing pains in your neck, but remember those are good: it's the nerves in your neck coming back to life after surgery.

    I was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma in July 2008, had surgery July 31, 2008, radioactive treatment Sept 2008, and recurrence/surgery again January 2009. Thyroid cancer is quite a journey, and it definitely has its own unique challenges. You learn alot about yourself, that's for sure!

    I also have a blog that was so theraputic for me as I went through all of my thyroid cancer business. Let me know if you have any questions! www.charlcie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete