Tuesday, May 19, 2009

T +4: My day in the ER

What a way to spend my Tuesday...OK my left arm hurt where the IV was placed...but started hurting worse on Monday. Now, not having a lot of experience in the ways of IVs, I didn't know what was normal or not. When my arm started getting hard and hot (yes, I said my ARM!), I got a bit concerned, so I called my surgeon and he had me go to the ER.

Long story short: after 5 hours in the ER and an ultrasound of every vein in my left arm, I get 5 days of injectable Lovenox and 3 to 6 months of Coumadin. Probably because a nurse botched my first IV attempt and blew the vein, along with other risk factors. Yes, I am mad because I don't think it had to happen.

On the good note, the nice doctor (a colleague of my surgeon who was on call) let me see my path report and all my tumor was encapsulated and not spilling out into other tissue so it is most likely ALL GONE!

So, the moral of the story is find a really good nurse to start IVs and DON"T BUMP ME FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS BECAUSE I WILL BRUISE EASILY.

No comments:

Post a Comment