Wednesday, June 10, 2009

...And thus it begins: The new T - 16

Today I start my low-iodine diet and withdraw from my Thyroid hormone. This is the worst part of the treatment...being hypothyroid for about 2 weeks.

There is a method to avoid this part, by taking synthetic TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), but the research is still out as if this approach is as effective in catching any lingering cells. My doctor doesn't like to do it that way, but he was open to letting me make the call (how cool is that!)

Believe me, I researched and researched, prayed, thought, and talked it out...and decided to give myself the best possible chance at never having to do this again...I would hate to have taken the easy way out, and then regretted it later.

I think I have my radiation on the 25th of June, but there was some confusion as to my scheduling, so I am waiting to hear from my doctor today if what was scheduled was actually what is supposed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment