Thursday, June 25, 2009

Officially Radioactive!!!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I am officially radioactive for the next 3 days, since precisely 11:45 am this morning. The good news is that there was no indication of any thyroid tissue except the leftover from the surgery (which is normal since you don't want to cut things like nerves, other glands, etc.)

The I-131 (radioactive iodine) will now go to work to ablate (destroy) all that remaining tissue.

The treatment itself was anticlimatic...a small vial of liquid to drink and then home. I need to stay away from my family (in passing is fine) so I am staying in my new basement craft room which is complete, as of yesterday, and is stunningly beautiful.

I can go back into public on Sunday afternoon.

The best part of today was getting off the low iodine diet and eating take out...in fact, I'm not supposed to prepare food for other people for 3 days (what a change from the past 2 weeks!). I think we'll eat a lot of take out in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Thyroid Cancer that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resources for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Thyroid_Cancer/367. There is also a phone number listed if you need to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA

    ReplyDelete