Thursday, June 11, 2009

Low Iodine Diet: part 2: Lisa can cook!!!!


Look what I can do when I have to! I can cook! Since I can't go out, and I can't use processed foods, I have to make things from scratch...so, for the first time in my 42 years, that is HOMEMADE spaghetti sauce (I might never go back to Prego, but the kids will), homemade rosemary bread, olive oil with pepper to dip it in (no butter or margarine allowed) and homemade balsamic vinigrette salad dressing (which tastes exactly like The Old Spaghetti Factory's dressing. Since I can't have milk, I'm drinking OJ with calcium. Best part is that I froze 5 portions of spaghetti sauce for a quick meal that I can eat even if the family is eating something else. I am so glad this is the summer...this would be really hard if the kids were in school with activities and stuff.
Last night I made Pork Chops on the grill (and froze the individual left overs), Asian veggies, grapes, applesauce. The chops were really good. I might have the only family that looks forward every year to the 2 weeks of Low Iodine Diet.
...of course, this is only day 2 so I may be sick of it really really soon.
Tomorrow's plan is grilled chicken and cinnamon apples. I am loving the Low Iodine Cookbook, but also finding it fairly easy to adapt many other recipes...substituting olive oil for butter, for example...but I do miss CHEESE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I am going on a no-iodine diet for two weeks because I have to go in for iodine treatment. What food would you recommend since I cant have dairy or salted foods?

    ReplyDelete