Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Low Iodine Diet, part 1

T-16 (They tell you it is for 2 weeks...but with a day prior for the tracer for the scan and at least part of the day of the ablation, I counted 16 days)

Last night, I couldn't sleep...OK, that was the gallon of iced tea I drank at Beef and Boards during my "last hurrah," but also I kept dreaming that I woke up and ate all the wrong foods!

In reality, I am off to a good start...thanks in part to the fact that my normal breakfast (Coco Wheats with peanut butter) is not on the restricted foods list, although it is different with no sugar/no salt peanut butter...had to add extra sweetener to it. Orange Juice instead of milk, not the end of the world.

I've been snacking on nuts (no salt, but that is how I prefer them anyway, and the protein boost should help keep energy levels up a bit). My low iodine corn muffin was great (added extra sugar to the recipe), and I am currently enjoying no salt peanut butter and strawberry jam on homemade low-iodine bread (I must learn to cut my bread slices thinner...I think I'll use the bread machine for the dough and do the 2nd rise and baking in a regular pan in the oven.) I'll probably depend more on fresh fruits (a habit I'd be happy to keep). And...I have an excuse to make homemade kettle corn (sweet/salty popcorn) with non-iodized salt because it is something I love and actually am allowed to eat!

Now...about dinner...yikes!

3 comments:

  1. I take desiccated bovine thyroid health tablets for almost five years and have been very pleased. Feels great for my libido and strength is back. I've noticed other benefits like hair regrowth and faster healing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find a low-iodine bread recipe?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Nice Post has been shared. thanks for sharing such post here. i did enjoyed reading your this post. keep posting....
    Vascular Surgery Malaysia

    ReplyDelete